Monday, May 31, 2010

Archival Scout Trip


We love ACL's Kodachrome digitization project. On a small scale, I've done my own part to rescue orphan slide collections from Goodwill and neighborhood garage sales. But most of my finds remain unsorted in boxes in our back "bonus" room. In one instance, I salvaged a slide collection for its unique homemade carrying case.

It would be great if we could scan, tag and pool our collections into a single, keyword searchable database of images. For example, I'd like to be able to search out a women's trouser style from a specific year or decade. We need a Cushman collection for heritage clothing on Kodachrome.

I'm wishing I had been invited along on this found Kodachrome field trip from the 1940s. I'm assuming that the event was scout sponsored with a loose forestry education theme.






I'm ecstatic to see rare screen surrogates for myself in the way of these cardigan clad ladies:


In packing for this scouting trip, I'd supplement my stock collection of buffalo plaid shirts, duck trousers or knickers with a few provisional accessories ordered from Boy's Life and Catalogue Manufrance 1931.

Packsacks and pocket knives via Boy's Life archive.

Equipement du Scout (via Pillpat)

No comments: