Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Shopping from Japan - Shoes Like Pottery

Thanks to Archival readers who suggested Shoes Like Pottery as an alt to my obsession over Wakouwa Deck Shoes.  As was noted in my original post, the Wakouwas are not sized for women, cost over three hundred dollars and are difficult to find in the US.  In contrast, SLPs are unisex, comparably stylish, and easily sourced in the US via favorite shops like Hickorees and Mohawk General Store.  The shoes are made from best quality canvas duck and rubber.  And like a nice pair of Aldens, they are hand sewn and hand assembled.  The SLP moniker refers to the vulcanizing process in which the shoe rubber is fired in a kiln for 70 minutes to make it more soft, durable and flexible.  I still haven't purchased a pair of canvas shoes but I'm wishfully hoping to find these on sale upon my return from London.  

  

No comments: