Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Shopping From the Past: Carl Denig


Pim, a friend of Archival Clothing in Germany, recently emailed us a link to a recent upload of a Carl Denig catalog from 1939. Founded in 1912, Carl Denig is the most important outdoor retailer in the Netherlands. Its current offerings are typical REI fare, but have a peep at this catalog. It's got us longing for hiker's wall tents, kletter schoen (the first climbing shoes), and sleek alloy teakettles. Sorry for the long post, but this stuff is too good! Many thanks to Jo Hedwig Teeuwisse for the amazing upload.



Shoes on bottom were some of first rock climbing specific footwear.





Those top boots are really something!



Sailing canoes




Nice rumpley bag family.




Aspirational modularity



I desperately want one of those Mikwa Keteltje.



(Note that stripey fabric above? See also)




1 comment:

allen said...

excellent post. My catalog collection has a couple of German and Japanese catalogs which are quite fun to look through. I love the folding candle lantern, I have a similar version. I am also a sucker for cookware, I have enough to feed a small army.