Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Shopping from 1952: Summer Camp Kit









Next week, I'll be heading to the Hood Canal for a weekend at my old summer camp. Since I'm fulfilling my packing list from the pages of the 1952 LL Bean catalog, I'll only need to shop for few perishable provisions (coffee beans, 35mm film and almonds).

I have a two shoe rule for traveling but I couldn't decide between the no-sole moccasin, camp oxford and canoe shoe, so I'll pack all three (and throw in the 9" moccasins just in case I do some ad hoc tramping and fishing).

All my gear will be packed in Bean Zipper Duffles and our trusty A.C. rucksack (camp tested by Sweet Juniper).


Camping in the movies:

Charlotte Vale's well appointed camp site (Now Voyager)

5 comments:

reverend dick said...

A 20lb tent for the hunter who wants to "go light." I love it!

NCJack said...

In 1958 I had a Bean "pup" tent with floor, neeting door, waxed canvas, needed it's own pack mule. Also had the sleeping bag shown. My current tent and winter bag weigh together about 2/3 of what that bag alone weighs, but back then it was "cutting edge"

NCJack said...

Sorry, "netting" door, as in mosquito

andrea.at.the.blue.door said...

Scarlet Viyella shirt - I'll take two, please!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.